September 30, 2020


We, Deliver

Police seek to hold Rashid Echesa for 21 days over KSh.39B firearms scam

Former Sports Cabinet Secretary Rashid Echesa has been arraigned at the JKIA law courts over the KSh.39 billion fake government firearms tender deal.

The prosecution made an application to hold the ex-CS who was arrested on Thursday, for 21 days as detectives travel to the United States to gather more evidence.

His defence however argued that his arrest was politically instigated because of his stance in the ongoing Building Bridges Initiative (BBI).

They also noted that the application by the prosecution to hold him for 21 days pending investigations was malicious since the prosecution did not have sufficient evidence at the time of his arrest.

His legal team further castigated the office of the DCI saying it was being used to wage political wars on politicians who were refusing to toe the line.

yX Media - Monetize your website traffic with us

Echesa was arrested on Harambee Avenue, Nairobi on Thursday over the allegation of getting into a fake contract with foreign investors dealing with military equipment.

Echesa, who was grilled the entire day, is alleged to have used the Office of the Deputy President and the signature of Defence Cabinet Secretary Amb. Monica Juma to cut a fraudulent multi-billion shilling deal.

In a narrative depicting a movie script, the former Cabinet Secretary is said to have approached foreign investors through mail introducing himself as a Kenyan politician who would hook them up with a lucrative Ksh.39.5 billion tender.

To show commitment he is reported to have asked them to pay a firm known as Pizzle Consultancy $115,000 (Ksh.11.5 million) which he is alleged to have pocketed.

He is alleged to have summoned the directors of the company into the country and had a meeting at a Nairobi hotel in the presence of people dressed in military uniform, one of them introducing himself to the investors as a General who would be the user of the military equipment to be supplied to the department of Defence.

The directors then arranged a trip for Echesa and three others to Poland, the headquarters of the company to inspect the surveillance equipment. It is here that he said he would receive Ksh.52 million upon the signing of the contract after allegedly approving the standards of the equipment.

Then came the D-day. On Thursday, February 13, the two investors, an Egyptian and an American were then ushered in style at Harambee Annex where the deal was to be signed in the Office of the Deputy President. It is here that it struck them odd why the man who identified himself as General was dressed in a suit this time round.

They also said they never got to meet the Deputy President despite Echesa promising that the contract would be signed in his presence.

What baffled investigators is that the fictitious tender document found both in the Office of the Deputy President and Echesa’s car, bore the signature of Defence Cabinet Secretary Amb. Monica Juma among other senior ministry officials.

Forensic investigations on the signatures have been launched, ahead of summons for the CS next week

Echesa, who was later taken to Muthaiga Police Station, was arrested alongside Daniel Otieno Omondi, Kennedy Oyoo and Clifford Okoth.